One of my favorite things after Olivia was born (well, besides baby herself) was the homemade postpartum pads that I made and froze.
Olivia came out with only a couple of gentle pushes, so I didn’t tear, but I was still a little sore. I mean it’s expected when pushing a big head out of a small opening. The combination of the herbs and coolness of these pads really, really felt great.
These homemade postpartum pads combine the following for an awesome soothing and healing effect for sore postpartum perineum and bum:
- witch hazel – witch hazel is used to decrease swelling and pain as well as stop the bleeding and heal heal any minor cuts or tears.
- aloe vera gel – aloe vera is well known for it’s antiseptic , germicide, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, and regenerative properties, making it a great addition to postpartum healing.
- comfrey – comfrey is a wonderful herb which promotes healing while disinfecting and relieving pain.
- lavender – lavender is soothing and smells wonderful.
Homemade Postpartum Pads
- 20 overnight maxi pads
- 1 cup witch hazel
- 1 cup 100% aloe vera gel
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 oz. comfrey leaves
- 4 cups boiling water
- Boil 4 cups water to make comfrey tea.
- Pour water over comfrey in large bowl, cover and let steep 8 hours.
- Strain comfrey and reserve the tea.
- Mix the tea, witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and lavender in a medium bowl.
- Unwrap each pad, but leave it in it’s wrapper.
- Pour 2-4 tablespoons over each pad, concentrating on where your sore perineum will be.
- Fold pad up and re-wrap.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and place in a gallon zip bag in the freezer.
I can not tell you how wonderful these pads were. So much more soothing than the dry, scratchy and non cold pads provided by the hospital.
I made around 20 of them, and took 7-10 to the hospital in a freezer tote bag. And that is all that I used. Since I didn’t tear, I was feeling great by the time I came home after 24 hours and didn’t need to use them anymore.
Just try them for yourself, or make some for a mom-to-be.