I’ve been trying to eat a bit more healthy recently and have been reading up on what to avoid and what to add when it comes to food.
I’m doing this mostly for me, but I’m also trying to include some healthier options for my family as well. (Which may include sneaking things in where I can.)
After looking through some chickpea recipes, I decided to adapt and make my own healthier version of Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas. My kids love chickpeas and these do not disappoint! This is a nutritious and healthy kids snack.
It’s crunchy, sweet, and with a little cinnamon all in little bites. And it’s healthy!
Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas – Healthy Kids Snack
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) – or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil – liquid
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas well.
- Pat chickpeas dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil and cinnamon. Add chickpeas and stir until well coated.
- Spread chickpeas onto baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until crunchy and no longer soft in the middle. (I shake the pan every 10 minutes)
- Place hot chickpeas in a small bowl and coat with honey, mixing evenly.
- Spread back onto baking sheet and allow to dry and cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature
I swear I almost ate the whole bowl of them. My kids ate them like candy and with the honey, they do taste like candy.
I love that there is no added natural or refined sugars in this snack, yet the honey still keeps it sweet. And using coconut oil vs vegetable oil that the original recipe called for, makes it a cleaner snack.