I have been having so much fun making my own homemade products that I can pack in my diaper bag for the hospital.
Of course I’ll be taking my homemade probiotic deodorant to put to the test. I also want to make a labor belly massage oil, homemade baby butt balm, and a few other things. I only have a few weeks left so hopefully I can get it all done before I need it.
Yesterday I made Boobie Balm – homemade nipple cream – to use immediately following breastfeeding in those first few weeks. I remember how sore, dry, and cracked the nipples can get when mom and baby are first learning to work together.
Boobie Balm – Homemade Nipple Cream
This nipple cream has only three ingredients:
- Beeswax – to help lock moisture into the skin, promote new cell growth, and protect the skin.
- Shea Butter - moisturizes, strengthens, protects, and regenerates skin. Great for minor cuts and cracks in the skin.
- Coconut Oil – promotes healthy skin regeneration, fights off infection, and moisturizes skin.
*While I have used all of these ingredients in my own homemade lip balm, I will still be cautious about a newborn ingesting them. It may be safe, but I will use right after breastfeeding and wipe any residue off before baby latches on again. I would do this with any nipple cream, just to be safe.
Breastfeeding Boobie Balm – Homemade Nipple Cream
- 2 parts coconut oil
- 2 parts shea butter
- 1 part beeswax (shredded)
- Melt the coconut oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the shea butter and allow it to melt as well.
- Add the beeswax and allow to melt. (beeswax takes a little longer to melt)
- Stir ingredients well.
- Pour liquid into container of choice and allow to set for 24 hours.
I can’t wait to try this after baby is born. I did rub a little on the back of my hand and it felt so smooth and nourishing for a very long time. In fact, after a couple of days, that spot is still smooth and feels healthier than my other hand.